I wanted to created something Halloween to place on the front door, went web searching and downloaded a free 78 x 75 count pattern that is called In_The_Dark_of_the_Night. This pattern wasn’t so much a Halloween as a Fall pattern. But I think it looks kind of spooky.
I used Aida 14 count, steel grey, the finished area is about 14 inches square. Used DMC stranded cotton that I had on hand. Worked in cross stitch except for the lettering.
As I finished the design, I decided to place a square of the same color Aida fabric on the back. While I was doing the hours of boring, boring straight stitching around the perimeter to attach the pieces of fabric together I thought about how I was going to hang this finished piece on the metal front door. I was still considering the bell pull idea of a straight rod and a braided cord at the top. For that I needed to make sure I left open (unstitched) perimeter slots at each top side (to slide the rod through). But with the bell pull idea I also needed to come up with some light weight at the bottom to make this finished piece hang against the outside of the front door.
As I stitch I normally use small round magnetics on which I park my needle when the needle is not in use. Hmmm, metal door and magnetics gave me an idea. I had on hand three styles of magnetics: the little round (super strong but expensive) ones that I use to hold (park) my stitching needles, thin business card size (weak holding power) ones and, a few round black magnetics (about inch diameter and with a strong hold to metal). I also did an Amazon search, found several different magnetics including candy corn size magnetics. Not knowing how I would us them I ordered the candy corn ones .
When they came (the candy corn magnetics) were like the business cards one, in that they weren’t strong enough to secure the double fabric finished piece to the metal door. Plus the candy corn ones were too bright to be on the actual finished piece.
So as I did my final perimeter stitching, I slipped (in) a business card size magnetic to be at the bottom of my finished piece. The magnetic in the business card size is strong enough to hold the bottom of the finished piece against the metal door. At the top of my finished piece, I slipped in the very strong black magnetic (into each corner).
As you can see in the photo below, I used the magnetic candy corns to form an arch above the finished piece. WORD OF MAJOR CAUTION: These magnetic candy corn are quite strongly adhered (attracted) to the metal of the front door. Not wanting to mar the paint of our metal front door I have left the arch of magnetic candy corns there (on the front door) year round, hiding them beneath wreath of grape vines and summer flowers and in winter time beneath the Christmas wreath on the door.